A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix is a nationally recognized, world-class medical center focused on making healthcare easier so life can be better. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Continuous investment in our facilities has led to the construction of a new tower with a state of the art Trauma & Emergency Department (over a $400 million investment), new and revitalized clinic buildings, and a new out-patient infusion center.
This position has oversight for maintaining and enhancing the quality of patient care with first year priorities focused on opioid stewardship and safe and efficient sterile compounding practices. Develops, implements, and monitors pharmacy services that support patient care and has a positive impact on the drug budget. Attends medical staff meetings and is responsible for creating, providing, and documenting pharmacy staff education. Coordinates pharmacy student schedules in collaboration with preceptors. You will also be responsible for coordinating staff onboarding, ongoing professional development, scheduling, and performance improvement initiatives. This is a varied shift position.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Phoenix Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position has oversight for maintaining and enhancing the quality of patient care through appropriate medication therapy. Develops, implements, and monitors clinical pharmacy services that support patient care and has a positive impact on the drug budget. Attends medical staff meetings and is responsible for education related to medication pharmacotherapy and drug utilization. Responsible for developing both medication use and disease-based evaluations. Performs comprehensive clinical assessments and collaborates with the integrated healthcare team to provide quality patient care. Accountable for on-going evaluation and documentation of all components of pharmaceutical care delivered to patients. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served while maintaining the ideals of service excellence. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Oversees the medical management of patients and the overall medication use process. Ensures appropriate and cost effective drug therapy through progressive clinical services. Critically evaluates drug therapy and makes recommendations to improve patient medication regimens. Analyzes and evaluates medication safety issues such as medication error rates and adverse drug reactions. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions.
2. Functions as a therapeutic consultant in areas that may include rational and appropriate use of medications, clinical pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, disease state management and nutrition.
3. Conducts educational activities that support the advancement of the pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and allied professionals where applicable on medication therapies and related topics. Serves as a primary preceptor for pharmacy clerkship students and pharmacy residents. Provides needed education to patients regarding their medication. If applicable, serves as the Program Director for the institution's Pharmacy Practice Residency Program.
4. Applies the principles of continuous quality improvement consistent with job expectations. Incorporates quality improvement principles into other activities and projects (i.e. data collection, documentation). Develops criteria for drug use evaluations, medication use indicators and disease-based evaluations. Provides leadership in support of the organization's clinical initiatives. Participates in facility or system committees as appropriate.
5. Provides oversight and assists with the development and implementation of evidence-based medication guidelines/protocols. Designs and implements medication monitoring guidelines and programs for both staff and clinical pharmacists.
6. Assists in recruiting, selecting, hiring and orienting qualified Clinical Pharmacist candidates. Evaluates clinical staff performance in an accurate, consistent, objective and timely manner.
7. Functions independently as a medication expert on hospital-wide multidisciplinary teams. Coordinates and participates in the preparation of agenda's, presents drug reviews and medication reports for the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. Makes formulary recommendations for new medications and develops therapeutic interchange procedures. Is cognizant of operational budget and makes recommendations for cost containment and cost reduction strategies.
Requires a degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy. For the Acute setting, Board certification (BCPS) must be obtained within one year of hire.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy licensure in the state of practice within 90 days of hire.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, Physicians and other contacts.
Must have knowledge of medication management software, particularly pharmacy system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems.
Completion of an accredited pharmacy residency program is preferred. Board Certification (BCPS).
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R18774
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.